FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Darcy Winters
Office – 818.379.7000 X109 – email@example.com
STEVE ALLEN “EXCELLENCE IN EDUCATION” AWARDS HONOR
VALLEY SCHOOLS, EDUCATORS, AND STUDENTS
SHERMAN OAKS, Calif. – May 23, 2013 – Eight truly remarkable Californians from our San Fernando Valley, who have received national education recognition this year will be honored at the 13th annual Steve Allen “Excellence in Education” Awards on Thursday, May 23, 2013 Medtronic, 18000 Devonshire St. Northridge, CA 91325. The awards, named for long-time Valley resident and legendary entertainer Steve Allen, salute nationally recognized achievements in the education field, and are presented annually by The Valley Economic Alliance.
Recipients of the 2013 Steve Allen “Excellence in Education” National Recognition Awards are:
- Grover Cleveland High School – LAUSD – National Magnet School of Excellence
- Granada Hills Charter High School – Independent Public School – First place in the 2013 Annual United States Academic Decathlon awarded by the United States Academic Decathlon Association
- Granada Hills Charter High School – Independent Public School – The Robodox Robotics Team 599D for winning the “Team Work Award” in the math division and the “Build” Award in the science division at the 2013 VEX Robotics World Championship
- Chaminade College Preparatory School – Private Catholic School – Robotics Team 1138 for winning the Design Award at the 2013 VEX Robotics World Championship
- Tanner Saul – Agoura High School, Las Virgenes Unified School District – Won Young Naturalist Award from the American Museum of Natural History in New York for his essay “Analysis of the composition of mammalian species in an urban fragmented area in Southern California.
- Agoura High School Studio Jazz Band, Las Virgenes Unified School District – Won first place at the National Swing Central Jazz Festival in Savanna, GA
- Clark Magnet High School – GUSD – National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence
- Dominique Evans-Bye – GUSD – Presidential Innovation Award for Environmental Educators
The Steve Allen “Excellence in Education” Award is named for Steve Allen, who is best known as the creator of the original “Tonight Show” and composed more than 9,000 songs, valued learning, and spent much of his later years focused on and writing about the importance of education.
Also being presented was the 2013 Valley of the Stars Business & Education Partnership award recipients. These awards are presented to outstanding businesses in the community that have partnered with a SFV School. The award will be presented to two businesses, Modern VideoFilm and Integrated Media Technologies for their partnership with Grover Cleveland High School.
The “Champion of Education” Award recognizes individuals and organizations who have dedicated their lives to improving public education. These creative and passionate leaders and organizations have influenced positive change in the academic community to improve the lives of tens of thousands of children and their families. The recipients of this award are Dr. Linda Calvo, Principal, Arleta High School and Mr. David Rattray, Senior VP of Education and Workforce Development for the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce and President of Unite LA.
The Valley Economic Alliance is a strategic private-public collaborative made up of businesses, government, education and community organizations with the dynamic mission of “Connecting Businesses to the Resources and Leadership of the San Fernando Valley. For information visit www.thevalley.net or call 818.379.7000 x109