FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Darcy Winters
Office – 818.379.7000 X109 – email@example.com
“STEVE ALLEN EXCELLENCE IN EDUCATION” AWARDS HONOR VALLEY SCHOOLS, EDUCATORS, AND STUDENTS
SHERMAN OAKS, Calif. – May 25, 2011 – Fourteen truly remarkable Californians from our San Fernando Valley, who have received national education recognition this year were honored at the 11th annual Steve Allen “Excellence in Education” Awards on Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at the Warner Center Marriot Hotel. 21850 Oxnard St. Woodland Hills, CA. The awards, named for long-time Valley resident and legendary entertainer Steve Allen, salute nationally recognized achievements in the education field, and are presented annually by The Valley Economic Alliance.
Recipients of the 2011 Steve Allen “Excellence in Education” National Recognition Awards are:
- LAUSD, Superior Street Elementary School – Blue Ribbon School
- Cheryl Gaul & Philip Chang – LVUSD, Agoura High School – Perfect ACT Scores
- Granada Hills Charter High School – Academic Decathlon Recipients’ Elysia Eastty, Harsimar Dhanoa, Shagun Goyal, Riki Higashida, Austin Kang, Eugene Lee, Joon Lee, Sindhura Seeni and Celine Ta
- LAUSD, Sherman Oaks Center for Enriched Studies –National Magnet School of Distinction by the National Organization Magnet Schools of America.
- Los Angeles Valley College Speech Team – Won first place in the individual events and Team category at the Phi Rho Pi Tournament. Team members include: TJ Rosas: Gold Medal: Duo Interpretation of Literature, LD Green: Gold Medal: Duo Interpretation of Literature, Karen Yelverton: Gold Medal: Poetry, Cristina Leiva: Gold Medal: Readers Theater, Rick Magana: Gold Medal: Readers Theater, Daniel Caceres: Gold Medal: Readers Theater, Karine Bagoumian: Gold Medal: Drama Katheryne Martinez: Gold Medal: Readers Theater
The “Steve Allen Excellence in Education” Award is named for Steve Allen, who is best known as the creator of the original “Tonight Show” and composed more than 9,000 songs, valued learning, and spent much of his later years focused on and writing about the importance of education.
Also being honored is the 2011 Valley of the Stars Business & Education Partnership award recipients. These awards are presented to an outstanding business in the community that have partnered with a Valley School. The award was presented to Citi Bank and North Hollywood High School.
The “Champion of Education” Award recognizes individuals and organizations who have dedicated their lives to improving public education. These creative and passionate leaders and organizations have influenced positive change in the academic community to improve the lives of tens of thousands of children and their families. The three recipients of this award are Dr. Ken Nielsen, President of Woodbury University, Van Nuys and Los Angeles World Airports and Diana Sanchez, Public & Community Relations Director, Van Nuys Airport.
The Valley Economic Alliance is a strategic private-public collaborative made up of businesses, government, education and community organizations with the dynamic mission to grow and strengthen the economy of the region to improve the quality of life in all our communities. This 5 city region includes Burbank, Calabasas, Glendale, Los Angeles, and San Fernando that represents over 70,000 businesses and more than 2.1 million residents. For information visit www.economicalliance.org or call 818.379.7000 x106